Moving Boxes: Which is Right for You?June 19, 2018
Don’t let storing outdoor gear take up all of your space at home, save the space and keep it safe in a storage unit.
Not many people have an unlimited amount of space for storing outdoor gear and as we all know, once you get in the outdoor spirit it is hard to stop at just buying the basics. Before you know it, you have accumulated aisles 10-14 at the local sporting goods store. Have no fear, with the easy access of a storage unit close to home, you can have it all!
Outdoor Storage Tips
Have a yearly hunting trip that will require access to your gear in the wee hours of the morning? Remember to plan ahead and ask about access hours! Most facilities can offer you 24 hour access for a small fee. Ask about the possibility of 24 hour access if this does not already apply at your facility. At Stop and Store Dover we offer 24/7 365 Self Storage.
- Be sure to check inside your kayak or canoe for small animals using it as shelter before storing them indoors.
- Always cover your kayak or canoe even if it is stored inside to prevent bugs from getting inside and damaging any foam or rubber materials.
- Low temperatures can potentially damage inflatable kayaks because of the material that they are made of.
- If you can’t afford to buy a rack for your personal boat you should store it against a wall on its side.
- Depending on how much gear you plan to store, your kayak or canoe would fit nicely in a 5×10 or 10×15 unit.
- Lay out all of your gear and organize it.
- Take inventory of everything.
- When storing outdoor gear, be sure to clean your items before storing-especially cooking gear to avoid any hungry critters.
- Make sure tents, sleeping bags etc. are dry to avoid mold and mildew.
- Label your boxes according to the contents.
- When packing make sure you don’t over pack an item making it too heavy to lift.
- Avoid storing propane tanks, lighter fluid and any other flammable materials in your unit.
- Remove batteries from flashlights, GPS and headlamps to avoid any leakage or corrosion. Store the batteries separately.
Follow these tips for storing outdoor gear and you will not only have more space in your home, but your gear will also be safe and secure! Stop and Store Dover can store your outdoor gear today!